current reading material: I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (loved it), Fit to Burst by Rachel Jankovich (great one!) and Power through Prayer by E.M. Bounds (hard to get into, but very good points about prayer to take to heart). Since my last currently post, I’ve been PLOWING through my reading list and a couple extras not on the list too. It’s as if I opened the floodgates and remembered how much I love books/learning/reading again. I love it.
In March and April I also read Bonhoeffer, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Speaking from Among the Bones, I Am Half-Sick of Shadows, and The Book Thief.
Kind of majored on WWII and post-WWII stories there for a bit! I was a total mess at the end of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Bonhoeffer and The Book Thief. Darn stories about concentration camps and war atrocities.
current songs o’ delight: “Your Great Name” by Natalie Grant (love harmonizing this one!)
current projects: I did a little more writing for Wine Table, which may turn into a regular gig (very happy about that!). This time I wrote about pairing wines with kids’ lunch options. Grown up drinks for the moms and dads that match the food you’re already preparing for the small people.
Oh yes, and there’s also the growing a human thing I’m working on. We found out about a month ago that we’ve been blessed with a tiny surprise that is due late this year. Probably in late November. This has put a little kink in the adoption proceedings, but we still are in the process of finishing our home study (due to some delay’s on our agency’s side) and hope to keep moving forward toward a child that needs a family. Possibly state-side now and Africa later.
current recipes I’ve tried: I’ve been baking a lot recently – its therapeutic for me. Downside is then someone has to eat it. I haven’t tried a bunch of new recipes, mostly just ones that are favorites. I did try a new blueberry orange muffin recipe and found them to be delicious!
Blueberry Orange Muffins
I have a few things marked to try soon:
Espresso Mini-Muffins with Chocolate Ganache – who doesn’t love coffee and chocolate? I’m hosting a wedding shower for my childhood bestie on Saturday, and these will definitely be making an appearance.
Baked Egg Tartlets – oh yum. eggs in a pastry crust? Yes. Please.
current hair color: still dark-reddish brown. I’d love to get some highlights soon.
1. SPRING! finally. Oh my word, this was quite possibly the longest winter ever. Having small children has not made my love for winter increase. So you better believe we’ve been soaking up the warm days and even enjoying the cooler days of this yo-yo spring weather. Got sunburns a couple weeks ago and then have endured chilly rain this past week, but tomorrow’s high is 88 and the rest of the week is projected to be in the 70′s. I’ll gladly take it!
The trees have all burst into bud and bloom in the past week and tulips and daffodils are up and blooming. My heart just soaks up the joy of the color green after the drab, grey, monochrome winter.
2. celebrated Mother’s Day. My sweet husband made it such a special day. He helped the kids make a card for me, made breakfast and ordered me to lounge in bed until it was all ready. Then we enjoyed church together, lunch at Culvers (free sundae for this mom!), and the rest of the day with Kyle’s family at his parent’s home. Such a lovely time!
2. Fostering. Last week we had back-to-back respite placements for ten days in a row. Shew! Wore me plum out, what with the first trimester of pregnancy and two more, then one more kid than usual. But it was good. Helped us formulate some more ideas about the right kind of placements for our family at this stage. And I’m super excited that one of the kids will be joined with their forever family soon. SUCH happy news.
1. A wedding shower for my dear friend, Whitney. I love throwing parties. Very much.
2. My birthday is only a month-ish away!
first bonfire of the season = sticky s’more girl
Jack was so excited to go to our friend’s cabin for a weekend with Kyle. He and Josiah had a blast in the woods!