this morning at approximately 6:52am, as I laid in bed contemplating how rough a night’s sleep I had, I was shaken from my reverie by a firm KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on my wall. Jackson occasionally employs this technique to inform me of his state of wakefulness. It’s endearingly annoying.
then, at approximately 7:28am, as he was devouring his toast with jam and his plate of eggs was already emptied, I heard “Mom, mom, mom – biiiite?” That’s Jack speak for “what you have on your plate looks way better than what I had or in addition to what I had I would like some of yours, thankyouverymuch”. 🙂 Again – so cute, but really I just want to eat my fried egg…ALL the bites of it.
these two events of the morning made me think of the country song, “You’re Gonna Miss This” because I’m sure one day I’ll wish for a chubby hand to knock on my wall with a cheerful cry of “Mom!” when the house is quiet because my kids are all grown up and gone. I’m sure one day (a long time from now) I’ll remember with more fondness how I couldn’t get through a whole meal or eat anything in his presence without sharing just a “biiiite”.
it also made me think, “What else will I miss someday that currently drives me bananas?” I came up with this list:
- changing poopy diapers three times in a row (okay maybe I REALLY won’t miss this!)
- constant requests to go “a’side, Mom?”
- a little “helper” during meal prep, who wants to taste everything and gets too close to the stove
- the very. slow. pace. of walks when Jack wants to get down and walk next to me
- hearing him say “noo” in response to almost everything, even if he really means “yes”
- cleaning up toys and blowing bubbles endlessly
- hardly ever eating a meal when its hot or uninterrupted by something a little person needs
yes, these are the good times. 🙂 I’m trying to take a good look around and remember these moments that will so quickly fade. Someday I will miss motherhood and the trivial trials that come along for the ride. For now, I’ll ask God for grace to live in the moment and embrace it. Poopy diapers and all.
what are you going to miss?