I am dying to host outdoor parties now that our grass is green, the trees are leafing out and the flowers are blooming.
Two summers ago, Kyle transformed our overgrown jungle of a backyard into a verdant, peaceful haven with a stone fire ring and inviting Adirondack chairs. He and our friend Jesse did the back-breaking work of clearing out the underbrush, pulling up stumps and leveling out the uneven hummocks into a smooth green carpet of cool grass. Isn’t it beautiful? (I took this last year…)
So I have in my head a brunch or dinner party with rustic, delicious home-cooked food and perfectly mis-matched, vintage-y and rustic environs. Sounds fun, yes?
If its a brunch, it would feature a menu something like this:
- frittata or quiche with spring produce and fragrant cheese
- thick cut, maple glazed bacon
- massive sugar crusted scones studded with dried fruit
- piles of whipped cream and jam
- berries of all kinds
- greek yogurt parfaits with fresh peaches or rhubarb compote topped with almond granola
- grilled flatbread with assorted savory dips
- crostini with ricotta, fig compote and honey
- chicken on the grill with peach bbq sauce
- roasted asparagus
- greek salad with tangy dressing and chunks of feta cheese
- key lime coconut cake and strawberry shortcakes
- homemade vanilla ice cream with toppings galore
- rustic wooden tables
- mismatched vintage/antique chairs in all finishes and colors
- gauzy fabric, vintage table linens
- lots of fresh flowers – wild, natural, twiggy and colorful. definitely daisies and sunflowers mixed in
- lanterns or big bulbed lights strung in the trees
- garlands hanging from the trees
- comfy couches, big chairs mixed with classic outdoor furniture
- cute citronella candles to keep the mosquitoes at bay
- lots of friends and family from near and far
we’ll see if this comes to fruition this summer…I’m already throwing at least three other parties before fall: a baby shower, a bridal shower and my little man’s 2nd birthday party. But I sure hope to do it – I LOVE entertaining, beautiful things, people and good food so a party such as the above seems like a fun marriage of those elements, in spite of how much work it would be to pull off.
In addition to those parties, we’ll definitely have plenty of casual dinners on the deck with friends, cookouts and family brunches al fresco! Are you planning to do any outdoor entertaining this summer? Do you have favorite summer recipes?