crazy. It’s been a year since my last post of this kind. I’m going to shoot for once a month from here on out. I’d love to hear what you’re currently doing in any of these categories too!
current reading material: Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl by ND Wilson – “wide eyed wonder in God’s spoken world” sums it up well.
I’ve just loved it. The whole book reminded me of how John Piper described C.S. Lewis’ “omnivorous attentiveness” to the world around him. Wilson really SEES the wonder of the Creator, the comedy, the tragedy, and the story of His grace at work in the world.
And if I could write half as well as any of the Wilson progeny, I would be a very happy girl. JEEZ.
Next up: Bonhoeffer and something lighter…probably the first Peter and the Starcatchers book by Dave Barry.
current songs o’ delight: I heard (and sang) this beautiful Sovereign Grace song “Behold Our God” for the first time two weeks ago. It’s been singing in my heart and mind ever since. I really love it.
And in the sweet and charming category, I’m crushing on JJ Heller. (and I get to see her in concert in a couple weeks – woot!)
current projects: I’ve been doing a bunch of writing for WineTable.com in the past couple weeks. Since I really like wine and I like to write, it’s been a happy marriage. 🙂
and beyond that, the whole feeding/clothing/loving kids, loving/spending time with husband, and keeping up with friends and family thing has kept me uber busy. 🙂
current recipes I’ve tried: having just finished my second Whole30, I’ve not really been trying a ton of new recipes this past month. But this avocado chocolate pudding is pretty amazing. The first time I made it Kyle could NOT believe I’d managed to sneak avocados into him. It’s smooth, rich, slightly sweet and chocolate-y to the max. YUM.
And the other day, Jackson and I made our family favorite “puffy pancakes” in a cute muffin tin version instead of a huge single skillet size. The kids loved them and they didn’t make a total wreck of my muffin tins like I imagined. Spray them well.
Finally – you have GOT to make these incredible chocolate chip cookies. My friend Elise makes them and kindly brings them to our small group on a regular basis. They are, seriously, the BEST CCC’s I’ve ever had. Secret ingredient? Cornstarch. WHAAA? I know. It’s weird, but it is a game-changer.
current hair color: dark reddish brown. But I’m looking forward to going lighter as soon as the weather warms up a bit! (this was last week on fabulous family day @ Coffee Talk.)
1. a week and a half ago, Kyle and I enjoyed the Bonhoeffer Tour with Eric Metaxas. Now I’ve REALLY got to finish the book (I started it just after it came out and got about three chapters in). Metaxas is hilariously witty, quick as a whip and so very easy to listen to. He was all business when it came to sharing about the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer though. And the Q & A with John Piper after the lecture was fabulous too. Very thought provoking. There’s not quite enough thought provocation going on in my life these days.
2. Fostering. Another placement for us! This time, we’re enjoying an older “sibling” – an eleven year old girl. She’s a sweetheart and we get to have her stay until next Monday, when her current foster parents return from their vacation.
3. Adoption training. We went to a great training on Saturday for our agency. Lots to process and think about, but it was really helpful information.
1. Escape to Green Bay! In a couple weeks, Kyle is whisking me away for a couple days in Green Bay and Appleton, WI. We’re going to stay in a B&B (always my favorite accommodation option) and see JJ Heller in concert at a fun venue. I want to tour Lambeau Field too, just for kicks. It will probably be the only time I ever darken its doors, LOL.
2. I’m really looking forward to Easter. I am, of course, plotting cute outfits for the kids and keeping an eye out for a fresh, fun spring dress for me! Suggestions?
Just finished another fun StyleMe Challenge with my Betty friends! It sure helps me get out of my frump funks and think positively about what’s in my closet. I’m not gonna lie though – I’m READY FOR SPRING. My peep toes and bare leg looks are dying to be set free from the boots and pants o’ winter. These were some of my favorite looks from the past month: